Skip Navigation


J-1 student status is a non-immigrant classification which allows you to remain in the U.S. as long as you are a properly registered full-time student and maintain your J-1 student status.

Certain international students admitted to eligible degree programs within the Johns Hopkins University Schools of Medicine, Public Health, and Nursing will be issued DS-2019 Certificates of Eligibility for J-1 student status if the specific funding source requires a J-1 student visa. J-1 Students must have a substantial portion of their funding from a source other than personal or family funds. The spouse and dependent children of a J-1 student hold J-2 status and can usually obtain permission from DHS to work in the U.S.

Want to Talk with an Expert?

Walk In Hours
  • Mon & Wed, 1-4pm
  • Tue & Thur, 9am-12pm

Walk in advising is for F-1 and J-1 questions that can be answered in ten minutes or less. For all other inquiries, please visit the Contact Us page.


Summary of Visa Types, Uses & Limitations

Download the Visa Chart