I-9 Process for New Hires
To comply with Federal laws, all employees hired after November 6, 1986 must complete a Form I-9 and provide evidence of identity and employment authorization to document they are authorized to work in the United States. The Form I-9 must be completed within three business days of the first day of work for pay. All employees hired on or after November 15, 2009 must also be E-verified - an internet-based employment verification system operated by the Department of Homeland Security and in conjunction with the Social Security Administration.
Johns Hopkins University does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, in compliance with Federal law.
The process below is only available to new hires who have already been issued a Social Security Number. Individuals who are hired by JHU and have not yet been issued a Social Security Number will still complete and electronic I-9, but the steps outlined below must be completed in the OIS in person.
Following is information to complete the processes:
- Review the instructions for completing the I-9 form. While the University uses an electronic I-9 form, as an employer, we must provide all employees with a copy of these instructions
- Sign on to www.newI9.com
- Insert employer code 11472 then click "continue"
- Enter the security text that is presented in the field and then click "continue"
- Complete Section 1 of the Form I-9. [Be careful to enter the information exactly as it appears on the original documents you are using to verify your employment eligibility.]
- For the location box select "Non-US citizen faculty, staff and student"
- Review the information you have provided for accuracy.
- Complete the agreement section
- Click "continue"
- You will receive a message that includes a list of documents (unexpired) to be presented. As an E-Verify employer, the documents presented must bear a photograph.
- Select the documents you choose to present to complete the Form I-9.
The University has authorized several Offices and Departmental Users to complete Form I-9. Individuals employed by the School of Medicine, who are not U.S. citizens, must complete their I-9 in the OIS **. Please remember to bring these original documents with you to the OIS. The original documents are required for our office to complete the I-9 process. The OIS is located in Reed Hall at 1620 McElderry Street and is adjacent to both Hampton House and the Outpatient Center. You can find a map of the East Baltimore campus at: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/the_johns_hopkins_hospital/getting_here/directions_jhh.html .
If you do not meet the above criteria ** I-9 processing is completed in an office *other than* the OIS. To identify your I-9 preparer, please review the list of Authorized Preparers for the University .
©2013 The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions Office of International Services. All rights reserved. Baltimore, Maryland.